Learn How To Backwash A Pool Sand Filter In 10 Simple Steps with this easy to follow guide! Follow the simple steps below and you can keep your pool filter maintained in no time!
When sand filter pumps are set to filter, water will flow from the pool, through the filter and then back into the pool. The sand that’s in the filter system will block dirt, oil, and debris. What results is a dirty and clogged filter that can reduce the ability of the sand to filter the water and get it back into your pool.
Backwashing will help your pool sand filter not get clogged. Pool water normally flows top to bottom in a sand filter, water enters at the top of the tank and pushes down through the sand bed into the laterals at the bottom of the tank. During backwashing, the water flows in reverse, from bottom to top, out of the laterals and up thru the sand, to flush out the trapped dirt from the sand bed and send it out the waste line.
Learning how to backwash a pool sand filter isn’t that hard and should be done once the pressure displayed on your pressure gauge is 8-10 PSI over the starting level. It’s also good to backwash after big storms, when the water gets cloudy, or when you’ve cleaned up an algae bloom.
How To Backwash A Pool Sand Filter In 10 Simple Steps
- Turn off the power to the pool pump at the circuit breaker before moving the multiport filter valve handle on the pump. This will prevent damage to the plumbing, gasket & internal filter parts. It also ensures your safety.
- Unroll the backwash hose & make sure it is tightly clamped & laid out where you want the wastewater to go.
- Press down fully on valve handle & rotate from the FILTER position to the BACKWASH position & lock it in place.
- Turn the power to the filter pump back on & run it for at least 3 minutes. The water in the sight glass on the side of the valve should change from cloudy to clear & the water coming out of the backwash will probably look dirty.
- Turn the power off again to stop the backwashing process.
- Depress the multiport filter valve handle, move it from the BACKWASH position to the RINSE position & lock it there.
- Turn the power back on to start the rinse process and allow the pump to rinse the filter for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn the power off to stop the rinse process.
- Depress the multiport filter valve handle, move it from the RINSE position to the FILTER position & lock it there.
- Turn the power to the pump back on for normal filter operation and Check your pressure gauge to ensure that the pressure has dropped 8-10 PSI from where it was prior to the backwashing process.
That’s it! You’ve successfully learned how to backwash your sand filter!
Click HERE To Shop Swimming Pool Filters!
If you have any questions about How To Backwash A Pool Sand Filter In 10 Simple Steps please feel free to leave a message!